We’re looking for a full-time in-house legal counsel to join our software company at our head office in Queen Square, Bristol, UK. We’re growing and in need of someone who has a good understanding of commercial law to help us keep on top of our contractual and compliance work. You may be an existing in-house counsel looking for a change, or someone who wishes to leave practice-based law for a more commercial environment. Fundamentally, you’ll have an interest in making a difference with your professional skills.
We’re a small, smart, hard-working team of about 25 people globally and we’ve been in business for over 15 years. 150+ government organisations around the world use our products to consult the public and involve citizens in democratic decision-making. Our office environment is friendly and relaxed, but we work very hard to support and deliver for our customers and we are extremely focused on that. We’re hiring for this role to enable us to continue growing and to build on what we can achieve.
We will expect you to:
- Lead on our ability to keep on top of legislation in all territories which impacts our business, and drive forward any actions.
- Ensure we respond to contractual requirements quickly and pragmatically by answering questions from our customer and potential customer organisations.
- Lead on keeping our global contracts up to date, this will involve liaising with lawyers in all territories.
- Help us to participate in procurement frameworks and to respond to tenders where these require legal input.
- Lead on our corporate compliance. Keep us up to date with our compliance requirements e.g. privacy statements and other policies that relate to the business. The system of compliance necessarily interacts with HR, but we would not expect you to get involved in any individual employee issues.
- Take part in and lead on aspects of our Information Security Management System primarily ensuring that we comply with Data Protection legislation wherever we operate and maintain our ISO27001 accreditation.
The work we do has real implications. It’s interesting and there’s a lot to get your teeth into. The legal situations we encounter themselves are relatively simple, but the hard part is that there’s no room for error – that’s what we need you to take on and own.
The kind of person we’re looking for is both assertive and pragmatic. We need you to be able to grasp what we need to achieve commercially while understanding what’s driving a customer request or perceived requirement so that we can respond thoroughly and helpfully. You will need to be able to rapidly absorb and understand technical information as it’s key in a technology product business; these details matter, both commercially and for compliance.
This is a role for someone who is a doer, like everyone else who works at Delib. We’re recruiting for someone who likes getting involved and helping problems go away. You’ll be working closely with your colleagues who will support you to learn and to get to grips with what we do.
- 3 years PQE
- Ability to write legally compliant but human sounding words
If this sounds like a good fit, please get in touch. Send us a cover letter (to firstname.lastname@example.org) and your CV. We’re more interested in covering letters than in CVs, we’d love it if you put your personality into it as we’ll be working with you as a fellow person. If we like the look of yours, the first step will be a telephone interview, followed by a standard face-to-face hiring interview. The final stage is a paid trial day in the office to make sure we’re the right fit for you and vice versa.
We’re committed to diversity and inclusion and we’d love to receive an application from anyone who feels this role is the right fit for them.
The starting salary range for this role is £37k, which will rise following a successful probation period.
The closing date for applications is 17th January 2020, or as soon as the right person is found. We are hoping to make a hire as soon as possible in 2020
Also, you need to know that we follow the HMG Baseline Personnel Security Standard and you will therefore need to satisfy basic eligibility criteria/certain conditions of employment (e.g. nationality rules/right to work) and provide appropriate documentation to verify ID, nationality, employment and/or academic history, criminal record (unspent convictions only).
Please no recruitment companies, it’s not our thing.